Monday, July 27, 2009

Test 2: Butternut Squash

Earlier this week I decided I'd make the butternut squash I picked up. Once again, I checked out the recommended cooking methods on www.wholesomebabyfood.com. I sliced the butternut squash in half (which was not an easy task - I think next time I'll wait until my husband is home and get him to do it for me), scooped out the seeds, and placed the halves of sqaush in a glass pan filled with about an inch of water. I baked the squash in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the skin puckered up, and the flesh was easy to remove from the squash. I scooped out the flesh into my food proceesor, added a bit of water, and within a couple of minutes had a big batch of butternut squash. I portioned the sqaush out into the ice cube trays, froze it, and removed the frozen squash a couple of days later. Getting the baby food out of the trays was a little tricky at first, but I figured out that a steak knife around the edge of the cube works well. The cubes defrosted nicely in the fridge. I picked up some Rubbermaid Easy Find Lids (x-small) to use as baby food containers. They are a great size - I simply put a cube in the container and defrosted in the fridge overnight. So easy!


Ella LOVES the butternut squash. She likes it a ton better than the apples, which was encouraging to me, since she didn't like my first attempt at baby food that much. :)

0 comments: